Announcing A Class; Our First Locomotive!
Well folks, we have been asked in person, emailed, lobbied and have had some oh-so subtle hints over the past couple of years about making a certain locomotive. So, we have listened, and we have decided to push ahead and do an A Class for 2019.
As you can see, CAD is complete. Looks well, right? We surveyed A39r with permission of the Irish Traction Group and The Downpatrick and Co. Down Railway, both of whom were most helpful and accommodating in the development of this model. They are two fantastic groups, well worth donating to, volunteering with and visiting as they keep our railway heritage alive.
The A class represents a new chapter for IRM, as we have previously supplied highly detailed rolling stock items for the Irish market, alongside our sister brand Accurascale which produces highly acclaimed British outline models. Now we are moving into locomotives and powered models. As you know by now, we like to do things to a high standard, with a high attention to detail. This continues with locomotives, with the specification of the A Class is as follows:
- Highly detailed OO scale model
- Heavy metal chassis
- Separately applied steel detail parts, including grab handles, steps, wipers and more
- NEM coupling socket at correct height
- Five-Pole motor with two flywheels
- Metal Helical Gear box for maximum performance and slow speed running
- Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 130 km/h
- DCC ready with PowerPack capacitor for uninterrupted power
- Two quality speakers with large sound capsules for best possible sound
- Fully detailed Lighting Pack, including:
- Directional lighting, DC and DCC
- Marker lights can be turned off when train is coupled to loco
- high beam headlight function
- separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console
- Engine bay lighting
- RP25-110 wheels OO wheels with provision for re-gauging to 21mm gauge
- Rotating axlebox hubs (with alternate axlebox covers for earlier versions)
- Fully sprung metal buffers
- Extra fine factory-fitted pipework
- Extra fine factory-fitted plastic and etched steel detail parts
- Two styles of windscreens depending on era modelled/livery
- Both Original Crossley and rebuilt GM locos catered for
- Minimum Radius 438mm (2nd Radius Set-track)
- Length over Buffers 203mm
Both the original Crossley and rebuilt GM powered locomotives will be modelled in appropriate liveries, featuring detail differences around the roof, windscreen and headlights. The finished models will be offered in a plethora of liveries, including a very limited edition special edition of class leader A1 in as delivered silver with sandboxes in a special presentation box with certificate, to Green lined, plain green, black, black with yellow panel, black and tan, supertrain, supertrain with IR logos and full IR livery, with the more popular liveries to receive multiple running numbers to allow modellers build an authentic roster of locomotives. We are working on digital sound records for both power plants, and sound chips will be sold separately closer to release.
Price of each locomotive will be €189.95 per loco, with €219.95 for A1 special edition and delivery of finished models is expected Q4 2019. Orders can be placed direct on our website here and at our stand at the Raheny show this weekend. You can either pay in full today or select ‘Bank Transfer’ and pay a €50 per loco to secure your order, with the balance paid before delivery in lump or instalments. Deposits can also be taken at the stand at Raheny.
2019 promises to be ‘A’ very special year, with the 42ft project delivered and A classes to come, as well as some other announcements in the new year. Keep an eye out for further updates in 2019!