The Bedford RLHZ Self Propelled Pump better known to us all as the Green Goddess was used originally by the AFS and latterly by the British Armed Forces. These green-painted vehicles were built between 1953 and 1956 and the design was based on a Bedford RL series army truck. Prior to disbandment, the AFS used the 'Green Goddess' extensively in support of the local Fire Services throughout the UK. In Northern Ireland they were painted yellow to distinguish them from Army vehicles. Meshing was added to the windows and hose was covered on the side of the vehicle.